Sunday, April 14, 2013

Reappearance

I'm back from outer space. The silence is because--I got the job! The bad news is that it meant I had no time at all to blog. Due to the commute, when I come home and dinner is consumed, I cuddle my five year old, Lanes, up and then according to unreliable sources, aka as my diligent spouse, P, I can be found snoring and slobbering with my mouth wide open.

In my over active mind, I imagined myself to look much like the whiskered rotund villains in the cartoons Lanes is fond of watching. Charming, I'm sure. P remained diplomatically quiet about the whole thing but I think he stifled a smirk when I brought this to his attention.

Meanwhile, I teased my nutty sister, who always wants to be in the know, with tid bits of information regarding the nature of my work. She is constantly googling information while simultaneously holding onto a conversation, and she deduced, based solely on location, that the job had something to do with the automotive field.

An avid car test driver and investigator of various auto parts, she decided she should come down for a visit and pick me up from work one day, with the hopes of taking the latest model of a certain vehicle for a spin.
Luckily, she mentioned this to me, because otherwise she would have been booked for grand theft auto by now, and I'd be happily doodling in moustaches on her mugshots. 

I would have had to bail her out of jail when she sped off with the car of some poor sap in my office building.  I can imagine the talk around the water cooler (which incidentally, I have never seen anyone pooling around), about 'the new girl's crazy relatives'.

After she realized that I did not work for a car dealership, or was remotely close to selling anything with wheels of any sort, she decided to come down, husband, children, dog and all for a one day visit last weekend.

Tiredness and crankiness are directly proportional in my book, so apparently she had some trepidation about descending upon my doorstep because I now spend the greater part of Saturday cooking for the week so I'm spared doing that after I get home from work.

I got a call from my mother, where she politely put out feelers to see the level of my grumpiness and I was given strict instructions not to terrorize my sibling. I acted offended as I stirred my lamb curry, but secretly I was delighted that I had the power to instill fear in anybody.

I have not been on Facebook or e-mail, and I'm in serious jeopardy of forfeiting my Words with Friends games. I am vaguely aware of what is going on in the world, and my days are a blur of bus and train rides and quick dinners followed by the partial digestion of Lanes' excited tales of her activities in the playground at kindergarten.

Lanes is usually done eating by the time I arrive from work because she opts to ignore her lunch and she comes home starving after spending her energy attempting daring tactics on monkey bars.  This causes me some level of mild hysteria, but I think it's a run of the mill thing for normal people.

The week before last she came home with blisters on her hands and I found P looking exhausted on the couch and Lanes sitting on the sofa opposite him with palms outstretched crying her eyes out. She was right as rain after I rummaged through the closet and found her some Strawberry Shortcake band aids.

Between Wednesday and Friday, her two upper front teeth, which have been wobbly for a long time, finally fell out. She currently looks like a grandmotherly pirate, something she is rather proud of. P calls her his toothless wonder. It's really not a good look, but she sports it well.

With that, I must run off. I have much sleeping to do before I wake up again at 5.30am and I have to figure out lunch for the three of us, especially when the one of us who is under four feet tall refuses to eat anything.

I asked her what she wants to eat and she claimed she wants to eat BBQ dim sum buns, which she insists on calling sushi. How in the world I'm supposed to produce that at this time of night for lunch tomorrow is a mystery to me. With that I must sign off, and hopefully I'll blog more often as I get used to this new routine...more musings from BC....soon....

2 comments:

  1. A few things:

    1. Monkey bar mastery is a rite of passage as ancient as Easter Island.
    2. The best among us drool in our sleep! Beats drowning to death is spit wilst dreaming dimly of darkened rooms.
    3. Good to see you back, in one piece, in reasonably fine form.

    Now we demand dish on co-workers - and lamb curry for everyone.

    SR

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're back Sanji. Have missed your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

What say you?